Friday, October 12, 2007

Fatherhood, football, and hell

My wife sent me this link to a recent Salon article. In the article, an atheist father is troubled about how to convince his young evangelical daughter that he's not going to hell because he's not a Christian. The columnist, Gary Tennis, does a pretty interesting job using a football analogy to upend the atheist father's pride.

Though the piece risks trivializing the gravity of the situation with the analogy, it was nevertheless a helpful way to prompt the reader to see that he couldn't rightly judge the issue without ever genuinely coming into contact with it. Worth the read.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I click the link you've posted, I only get to what I'm assuming is the first part of the article. It ends with the sentence, "Nor do I want her mother telling her that I am going to hell."

The word "NEXT" is under this section three times, but clicking it does nothing but refresh the page. Any ideas about how I can access the rest of the story?

Thank you for your words here...they refresh me, teach me and encourage me...Kim R.

FellowElder said...

Kim,
Thank you for the kind words. May the Lord bless and keep you.

On the link... click on the first "NEXT". You'll come to some kind of ad. Above the ad in the right corner is another link that says "Enter Salon." Click on "Enter Salon" and it takes you to the remainder of the article.

Grace and peace,
T