Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Bob Kauflin Says It's Okay to Sing with Lig Duncan

I remember the first time I was in a public worship service with Lig Duncan. Lig is always a joy to be around--a walking trivia book of all things Scottish Presbyterian and soul music! But this first encounter with Lig in a worship service was striking for me. We were singing great hymns and I noticed that Lig was singing with a big smile and looking all around at people.

My first response was nervously avoiding eye contact. "What's he doing looking at people when we sing?! Is that natural? Is it allowed? Does the regulative principle apply?"

Then he fixed on me with that big gentlemanly smile, nodded through a couple lines, and turned joyfully to look at someone way in the back in the balcony. My second reaction... I thought would be relief. But actually it was joy, encouragement... you might say enheartened. Lig had just sang to me--and everyone else in the church--and I was encouraged. I thought of Lig when I read Bob Kaughlin's thoughtful and helpful reflection "Addressing One Another in Psalms, Hymns and Spiritual Songs." Enjoy this post and help Lig in his mission to address all the saints in the truth of song!

2 comments:

Bob Kauflin said...

Thabiti,

Thanks for mentioning my post. A slight adjustment, though. My last name is Kauflin. It's much easier to spell than yours.

FellowElder said...

Ohhh... the shame! With a name like Thabiti Anyabwile, you should always spell other people's names correctly. And the truly pathetic thing is I know your name is spelled "Kauflin."

My bad, bro. :-)

T-