Sunday, July 12, 2009

More and More Grace

It's been a really full and joyful week at FBC this past week. We've had vacation Bible school and Upward Basketball activities going on each afternoon and evening.

Yesterday we joined in the wedding celebration of Shane and Ronnie Ebanks. We try to make our weddings worship services, focused on the Lord Jesus Christ and thanksgiving to God for the gift of marriage. Yesterday was as Christ-centered marriage as I've ever had the privilege of attending. The couple did a wonderful job of focusing on the Lord. And it was a tremendous time of celebration in the church family, with seemingly everybody in the church pitching in in some way. It was truly a family affair, and it was lavish in love. The couple wrote their own vows. See them below and let me know what you think.

Today, we had the joy of baptizing four persons following the morning service. Their testimonies of God's grace and salvation were powerful. And while we were at the ocean conducting their baptism, an older lady who has attended the church for years and wrestled with many questions, decided to profess her faith in baptism. It was one more example of the Lord's kindness to us all.

----------------------------------

Shane and Ronnie's Vows



I confess that I am a sinner who has offended a Holy and Righteous God, as a result of my sin I was separated from God and his perfect justified wrath was upon me.

God being rich in mercy and love sent His Son. Jesus Christ, the Son of God, being without sin thus the perfect sacrifice, died on Calvary’s Cross to take the punishment for my sins. The Father has given me a faith in him, so I can now confess that Jesus is Lord and believe in my heart that the Father raised him up from the grave.

I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. I have been given a new eternal life in Christ. Christ has become my righteousness. I am adopted into the kingdom of God. By the spirit of Christ I call out Abba, Father. The Holy Spirit has sealed me for the day of redemption. And it is in this new life...

I promise to love you all the days of my life. I will treat you as if you were part of my own body. I will be quick to listen and slow to speak. I will exist with you in the covenant of marriage in a way that glorifies God, communicating the Gospel of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Husband

Sharon I will care for you always. I will honor you and cherish you with a love that I possess only through Christ. I will esteem your counsel above all others. I will always try to be first to the cross, when it comes to sacrificing for you. Knowing that adultery is detestable to the Lord, I will keep our marriage bed pure. Should the Lord see fit to bless us with children, I will endeavor to raise them with you in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. In the example given by Christ the groom to the Church his bride I will attend to your needs helping you to become all that God wants you to be. I Love You!

Wife

Shane I will joyfully submit to your God ordained leadership in everything. I will love you and cherish you in all that you do. I will esteem your counsel above all others. Knowing that adultery is detestable to the Lord, I will keep our marriage bed pure. Should the Lord see fit to bless us with children, I will endeavor to raise them with you in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. I will support, trust and respect you, for I love God and He has given you to me. I Love You!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful example of Christ-centered vows. Although I was not able to attend the wedding due to vacation, they were in my prayers and thoughts and it is such a blessing to see a little slice of heaven shine through in our own church body. The way everyone came together in love to support this new marriage was amazing and I thank all those who did so. May Christ continue to bless all churches in this way and may the love of God be in the hearts of Christians throughout the world.