Monday, September 14, 2009

Game

Africa is famed for its wildlife. While flying over, I had the privilege of talking with a man from Houston who has lost count of the number of times he's travelled to Africa for the game parks.
I'm not a hunter myself, and apart from visiting zoos, I don't know that I've paid much attention to animal life around me. But Africa has changed that!

The church I spoke at this past Lord's Day actually had a puff adder visit the service a week or so ago. That's one of the most dangerous poisonous snakes in the world. The pastor joked: "When my assistant preaches that old serpent the devil comes to church." He had better composure than I would have had.

But my new favorite friend is the hadada. The people here treat them like pesky crows. But they're actually a kind of ibis, and they've become a kind of alarm clock for me. Every day around 6am and 6pm, and sometimes throughout the day, he can hear them with their piercing squawking flying over head or roaming in the back yard. I don't know why, but these birds are kinda dear to me.


Okay... I know it's not one of the big five, but it's wildlife to me!

2 comments:

Gaby said...

Hehehe, the hadedas are protected birds here in South Africa. Your picture actually makes them look nice. For us living with them as alarm clocks it is another matter. One of our sayings about them is that the "Ha ha haaaa" that they make is their way at laughing at us because we can't fly.
I hope you will be able to see some real animals whilst visiting our beautiful country. Thank you for taking the time to bless us with your ministry.
Gaby Botha, Port Elizabeth, South Africa

The Student said...

They are annoying but I love them . . . there are a few that wander around in my parents' garden in Cape Town all the time . . . :-)