Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Today I Prayed with Susannah Spurgeon

This morning my wife read to me a devotion from Susannah Spurgeon that captured my heart and prayer. I thought I'd share with you this reflection on Eph. 1:19:
Your poor child sorrowfully confesses to falling very far short of the high standard of Christian life to which your word expects us to attain. In common with so many others, I seem to live at a "poor dying rate" when I might have "life more abundantly." I know the possibilities of conformity to Christ are only to be measured by the exceeding riches of your grace, and the exceeding greatness of your power, and yet I sometimes seem content without a full participation in the glorious experience which your love offers. Lord, enlighten and quicken me, I beg you! Put forth in me the mighty grace which will make my daily life a proof that you are working your own will in me, and giving me to know at least in some measure, "what is the exceeding greatness of His power to usward who believe."

(Susannah Spurgeon, Free Grace and Dying Love: Morning Devotions, pp. 24-25; previously published as A Carillon of Bells)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amazing prayer! Susannah sure hit the nail on the head with this one.