Saturday, August 26, 2006

Preaching Up A Storm

Tomorrow, Lord willing, I'll have the awesome (in the old sense of the word) experience of opening God's word and preaching through the contents of Psalm 89. I've been working on the sermon for the past couple of days... and yet one verse didn't quite grip me until I started focusing on tropical storm (soon to be hurricane?) Ernesto.

"You rule over the surging sea; when its waves mount up, you still them" (Ps. 89:9).

It's amazing how a change in residence brings some biblical truths and illustrations into vivid color! And it's amazing to see what kinds of applications all of a sudden have more urgency and resonance.

But how wonderful it is to recognize that though the Caribbean be battered with storms, our Sovereign Lord rules it all! For all of the urgency and fear provoked by a hurricane (keeping in mind that this island was 80% wiped out just two years ago by hurricane Ivan), the Lord in all of His majesty and power is more fearsome than all! O let us bow down and worship the Lord, Maker and Ruler of all creation!

3 comments:

Shawn Abigail said...

v14 ("Righteousness and justice are the foundation of your throne; love and faithfulness go before you.") is a wonderful opportunity to remind people how God embodies each of these qualities in the fullest measure. It is not as if righteousness and love are competing virtues. But the love of God and the righteousness of God can only be seen to us in the person of the Lord Jesus Christ. When we look at Him, at last we can see how these virtues can be combined without competition.

Shawn Abigail said...

I know this is a hard question to answer, but how did it go?

Sometimes we feel a sermon was just OK, but others are quite enthusiastic about it. Other times we know it was a dud, and the audience knows it too. But sometimes we just know it was preached in the power of the Spirit. I'm one of the most non-Charismatic and non-experiential people you will ever meet, but sometimes you can feel the power of the Spirit as you preach. I can't describe that feeling, but I know it. It usually comes when I have been diligent in my preparations but also have earnestly sought the Lord in prayer. Perhaps it is a sign of my own immaturity, but the Father usually grants my prayer when I ask for the power of the Holy Spirit in a sermon. The servant is weak, but the Master is strong.

Nick said...

Thabiti,

Love your blog. Your post reminded me of a line from one of my favorite hymns:

"As a mother stills her child,
Thou canst hush the ocean wild;
Boisterous waves obey Thy will,
When Thou sayest to them, 'Be still!'
Wondrous Sovereign of the sea,
Jesus, Savior, pilot me."

--Nick Roark