Thursday, May 24, 2007

Men Are From Mars and Women Are From Venus

Lord willing, I'll post a more substantive post later today. But I just had a Mars/Venus kind of experience with my wife and thought I'd share the laugh.

Here's a simple illustration in how men and women (pardon the stereotypes) view money differently.

My wife just walked into the office and asked, "Do you have any change?"

I began to open the desk drawer for the cup of coins I keep there. Looking into the drawer, I ask, "How much?"

"Fifteen dollars," was her reply.

Fellas, when did fifteen whole dollars become "change"? It's expensive living in Cayman... but my word!

This helps to explain why when we're in the mall and I ask "do you have any money?" she always says "no." But then three stores later, she "finds" $20-40 (in her change purse) to purchase the blouse on sale.

When I say, "I thought you didn't have any money?" She says, "You asked if I had money. Oh, that wasn't money." Apparently, being from Mars, I'm not dealing in big enough denominations! That was just "change"!

I will have been married to my wife for 16 years on August 31st, Lord willing. And not until this moment did I realize how different our perspectives on money can be.

We had a good laugh (and she gave me permission to post this). But from now on, I'm recalibrating my understanding of what "change" and "money" are. Anybody with me?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, at least when your wife says that she put some "change" in the offering plate, you know she ain't being cheap...lol