Monday, December 15, 2008

MacArthur on TBN

What happens when you mix Kirk Cameron and John MacArthur with a TBN audience???

First comes the stunning silence, then the screeching wheels of cognitive dissonance. See here:



and here. The last two minutes, meditating on 2 Cor. 5:21 are worth the entire video (which is excellent in its entirety).



MacArthur's line at T4G this year has stuck with me: "Hard truth makes soft people." I think these videos are exhibit a in support of that statement. Who loves the truth and yet can remain hard at such clear, Christ-exalting teaching?!

HT: A Daughter's Thoughts...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't see what are you talking about. There was no stunning silence. They were with him.

Chris L

samurai said...

Thank you brother for these links and videos...

it has spoken to my heart...

Anonymous said...

As I wrote on another blog earlier, when I first saw these videos:

Did this actually happen? *John Calvin* was mentioned, and mentioned positively, by *John MacArthur* on *TBN*! I am not believing that this happened! To quote Red Foxx as Fred Sanford, "This is the big one.... Elizabeth, I'm comin' to join you, honey!" :-)

Seriously though, TBN's programmers just seem to have no discernment at all, and while that fact, in and of itself, is bad, it can occasionally turn out well. It seems as if *anyone* who even mentions the name "Jesus" can appear on TBN. There doesn't have to be any context or explanation; just use the name, and you can be on TBN. In this case, in God's providence, it led to Kirk Cameron and John MacArthur proclaiming the Gospel on a largely heretical channel! Praise be to God!

On a side note, I'm half-jokingly wondering if this audience was flown in from Grace Community Church? They were surprisingly receptive to the "hard words" of Jesus about worldly riches and dying to self!

Laura said...

Wow... did you hear that, Pastor T? That explosion was the sound of my mind blowing.

The Greenboygs said...

This is just FANTASTIC! I may not agree with J.M on everything, but this is AWESOME!!!!!!!

D.J. Cimino said...

Just curious, do we actually know if Cameron is a Calvinist?

Anonymous said...

Cameron, along with Comfort, regularly quote John Calvin and Spurgeon (the Calvinsist's prophet). In addition, they regularly confirm the 5 points. So I'd say yes. Nobody's perfect I guess.